KonMari Commerce: Does this requirement spark joy?
You have your long laundry list of requirements broken down into three boxes - what’s next? Well, now comes the hard part. It’s time to methodically unpack each box, examine each requirement, and ask yourself the hard question - “Is this something worth holding on to? Or is it time to let this go with gratitude? This is, without a doubt, a scary task. “What if you make the wrong call?” “How will this impact my project?”. “What will suffer as a consequence of this decision?”. Worry not, we’re here to guide you through this daunting process.
Unpacking your requirements
One box at a time, prioritize the requirements by ranking them or assigning them a score. This activity will help identify which are must-haves, nice-to-haves, and which can be scrapped.
[PRO-TIP] This approach can also help determine project phases down the road.
Next, scrutinize each requirement. Put each one through its paces. As you go through the list, ask yourself the following:
- Is this requirement really a requirement?
- Is it here because of an existing business process? If so, can this be improved upon? Is there a better way?
- How does this requirement help us? For something to be considered a requirement, it needs to improve something, in some way. It must make it better, faster, easier, more efficient.
- How does this requirement help our customer? For a website feature to make it through to the live site, it needs to improve the customer experience. Don't be swayed by fancy technology if there is no data-driven, tangible value-add to it. Sometimes, the simplest way is the best way.
If a requirement satisfies each of these questions, it’s time for the next round. Don’t let up, you’ll thank yourself later. Ask yourself the following with respect to each requirement:
- Is this requirement complete?
- Is it specific?
- Can it be measured?
- Is it achievable?
- Is it aligned with the business’ goals?
- Are there internal/external forces or constraints that will affect this requirement?
- Is it agreed upon by project sponsors and stakeholders?
Having answers to these questions is important in making sure each requirement can be justified and is worth your time, money, and resources.
Now it’s time for the final gut-check. Proverbially hold each requirement in your hand and ask yourself:
Does this requirement spark joy?
Does it spark joy to your business? To you as an individual? Perhaps most importantly, does it spark joy to your customer?
This is the final litmus test. If a requirement checks all the boxes, can be mapped back to a business need, and sparks joy among yourself, your team, and your customers, it makes the cut.
You’ve been ruthless, scrutinized each requirement, disposed of what was weighing you down, and discarded what was not aligned with your goals. What’s left is a beautifully organized, uncluttered, well-defined, data-driven set of requirements.
Well, that's where we come in. We'll unpack each box with you, validate your requirements, fill in any gaps, and help bring your project to life. Of course, we're happy to jump in at any point of the process, whether you're just starting to think about the project, halfway through your requirements gathering, or have a concise list ready to hand off. We're here to tie it all together and turn your ideas into an unstoppable e-commerce machine.
Are you ready to unclutter your e-commerce project and spark some joy? So are we.